B.S. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2004
M.S. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2005
Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2010
Charles E. Via, Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), Virginia Tech
- Responsible development of mineral and energy resources, and education of responsible resource engineers
- Monitoring, characterization and control of mine-generated environmental contaminants
- Electrochemistry, including hydrometallurgical processing and corrosion mechanisms and control
- DPM Research: Monitoring Responses to Ventilation and Control by Water Sprays, and Capacity Building for Mine Ventilation Expertise (CDC/NIOSH)
- Freeport-McMoRan-SME Career Development Grant (Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration Foundation)
- Characteristics of Dust and Risk Factors Associated with the Development of Rapidly Progressive Pneumoconiosis and Progressive Massive Fibrosis (University of Illinois-Chicago, funded by the Alpha Foundation for the Improvement of Mine Safety and Health)
- Connecting Dust Characteristics and Worker Health in Underground Coal Mining (University of Pittsburgh, funded by the Alpha Foundation for the Improvement of Mine Safety and Health)
- Sustainable Solutions for Water Resource Impairments in Mining Communities (Appalachian Research Initiative for Environmental Science)
- MinE 2504 Introduction to Mining and Minerals Engineering
- MinE 4544 Mine Reclamation and Environmental Management
- MinE 5114 Sustainable Development of Mineral and Energy Resources
- 2017 Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech
- 2017 Research and Educational Excellence Award, Health and Safety Division, SME
- 2016 Young Engineer Award, Minerals and Metallurgical Processing Division, SME
- 2015 Outstanding Researcher Award, Appalachian Research Initiative for Environmental Science
- 2015 Teacher of the Year, Burkhart Mining Society
- *Johann-Essex, V., Keles, C., Rezaee, *M., Scaggs-Witte, M., & Sarver, E. (2017). Respirable coal mine dust characteristics in samples collected in central and northern Appalachia. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COAL GEOLOGY, 182, 85-93. doi:10.1016/j.coal.2017.09.010
- *Cantor, J., Krometis, L. -A., Sarver, E., Cook, N., & Badgley, B. (2017). Tracking the downstream impacts of inadequate sanitation in central Appalachia. JOURNAL OF WATER AND HEALTH, 15 (4), 580-590. doi:10.2166/wh.2017.005
- *Rojas-Mendoza, L., Sarver, E. A., & Saylor, J. R. (2017). Removal of DPM from an Air Stream Using Micron-Scale Droplets. AEROSOL AND AIR QUALITY RESEARCH, 17 (7), 1865-1874. doi:10.4209/aaqr.2017.03.0093
- *Barrett, C., *Gaillard, S., & Sarver, E. A. (2017, June 17). Demonstration of Continuous Monitors for Tracking DPM Trends Over Prolonged Periods in an Underground Mine. In Proceedings of the 16th North American Mine Ventilation Symposium (pg. 5-29 – 5-36). Golden, CO.
- *Johann-Essex, V., Keles, C., & Sarver, E. (2017). A Computer-Controlled SEM-EDX Routine for Characterizing Respirable Coal Mine Dust. MINERALS, 7 (1), 15 pages. doi:10.3390/min7010015
- *Gaillard, S., *McCullough, E., Sarver, E., Area monitoring and spot-checking for diesel particulate matter in an underground mine, Mining Engineering, Vol. 68, No. 12, pg. 57-62.
- Jeter, S., Sarver, E., McNair, H., Rezaee, M., 4-MCHM sorption to and desorption from granular activated carbon and raw coal, Chemosphere, Vol. 157, pg. 160-165, 2016.
- Sarver, E., Lattyak-Slabaugh, R., Strock, C., Edwards, M., Flow Electrification and Non-Uniform Corrosion in Low Conductivity Potable Waters, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 165, No. 5, pg. C139-144, 2016.
- *Sellaro, R., Sarver, E., Baxter, D., A Standard Characterization Methodology for Respirable Coal Mine Dust Using SEM-EDX, Resources, Vol. 4., pg. 939-957, 2015.
- *Cook, N., Sarver, E., Krometis, L., Huang, J., Habitat and Water Quality as Drivers of Ecological System Health in Central Appalachia, Ecological Engineering, Vol. 84, pg. 180-189, 2015.
- *Cook, N., Krometis, L., Sarver, E., Huang, J., Inorganic Constituents of Mine- and Sewage-related Discharges Influencing Five Central Appalachian Watersheds, Ecological Engineering, Vol. 82, pg. 175-183, 2015.
- *Morris, J., *Sellaro, R., Sarver, E., Residual Diesel-Range Organics in Process Waters from Laboratory Fine Coal Flotation Tests, Mining Engineering, Vol. 67, No. 8, pg. 67-73, 2015.
- *Scaggs, M., Sarver, E., Rojas Mendoza, L., The Elk River MCHM spill; A case study on managing environmental risks, Mining Engineering (Feature Article), Vol. 67, No. 4, pg. 48-55, 2015.
- Raval, S., Sarver, E., Shamsoddini, A., Zipper, C., Donovan, P., Evans, D., Chu, H., Satellite Remote Sensing-based Estimates of Biomass Production on Reclaimed Coal Mines, Mining Engineering, Vol. 66, No. 4, 2014.
- Sarver, E., *Cox, A., Salt: an emerging concern for the global mining and minerals industries, Mining Technology, Vol. 122, No. 3, pg. 145-152, 2013.
- *Craynon, J., Sarver, E., Robertson, D., Could a Public Ecology Approach Resolve the Mountaintop Mining Controversy? Resources Policy, Vol. 38, No. 1, pg. 44-49, 2013.
- Sarver, E., Dodson, K., Edwards, M., Slabaugh, R., Scardina, R., Nguyen, C., Investigating Copper Pitting Corrosion in High pH, High Chlorine Potable Waters, Journal of the American Water Works Association. Vol. 103, No. 3, 2011.
- Sarver, E., Edwards, M., Effects of Flow, Brass Location, Tube Materials and Temperature on Corrosion of Brass Plumbing Devices, Corrosion Science. Vol. 53, No. 3, 2011.
- Sarver, E., Fuerstenau, M., Sandoval, S., Adel, G., Reaction kinetics of ferrous regeneration for alternate anode reaction technology, Minerals & Metallurgical Processing. Vol. 24, No. 2, 2007.