The pursuit of an advanced degree in mining engineering allows students to deepen their knowledge while satisfying their intellectual curiosity. A master’s degree can provide critical skills in research and organization while helping obtain a more specialized career. Our PhD program creates scholars and leaders who advance current knowledge and solutions to critical problems.
The Virginia Tech Mining and Minerals Engineering Graudate Program prepares students for high-level, challenging efforts in research, development, university teaching and government work. The program allows students to pursue the following degrees in Mining Engineering:
- M. Eng.
- Ph. D.
Our graduate students participate in well-funded, innovative research projects using state-of-the-art equipment and facilities. Areas of graduate research include, but are not limited to:
- Applied surface/colloid chemistry
- Automation and control
- Carbon capture and sequestration
- Coal & mineral processing
- Enviromental & societal impacts
- Gas/shale gas engineering
- Geoenergy engineering
- Geomechanical applications
- Mine systems engineering and analysis
- Mine ventilation
- Occupational health & safety
- Reservoir engineering
- Rock mechanics and ground control