Name of Your Dept or Website

Graduate Program Admissions

Application Process

Admission to graduate study in the Department of Mining & Minerals Engineering is granted by the Virginia Tech Graduate School after a recommendation of the Department Head upon consultation with the Departmental Graduate Committee. Information related to the application progress, including electronic on-line filing, can be found here.

Application Deadlines

Deadlines for applying to the graduate program are set by the Virginia Tech Graduate School. The current application deadlines are listed here.

GRE Requirements

The department requires all applicants to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) prior to submitting an application. Information about the GRE can be found at

TOEFL Requirements

The Virginia Tech Graduate School requires that all non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores with their application. Minimum scores for admission, which are set by the Virginia Tech Graduate School, are listed here. English proficiency can also be demonstrated through a conferred bachelor’s degree from an accredited university where English is the medium of instruction. Please see the Graduate School handbook for more information.

Financial Support

Most students accepted to the program receive funding for graduate studies in the form of teaching or research assistantships. Graduate assistantships, which are provided only to MS and PhD candidates, typically include a stipend for living expenses and a waiver of tuition costs. Other financial support initiatives are listed here. Upon accepting financial aid, graduate students are expected to perform assigned duties (e.g., research work, teaching, grading, etc.) under the continuous supervision of their faculty advisor/chair. Financial support may be discontinued if the work is deemed unsatisfactory. Expectations for graduate study are listed here.

Graduate Coursework for Undergraduates

Undergraduate seniors interested in graduate coursework may enroll as either Dual Student Status or Accelerated UG/GR programs. Please click here for more information.