B.S. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2004
M.S. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2005
Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2010
Charles E. Via, Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), Virginia Tech
108 Holden Hall
Phone: (540) 231-8139
- Impacts of mining on water quality
- Water resource management and mitigation at mining/milling operations
- Advancements in hydrometallurgical processing for base metals
- Corrosion mititgation for mining/milling operations
- Responsible resource development
Current and Past Research
- Control of mine spoil leaching to improve water quality
- Environmental fate and transport of mineral processing reagents
- Assessment of biologic water impairments and associated human and ecological health near mining-impacted communities
- Water quality influences on non-uniform copper corrosion in potable water systems and mitigation strategies
- Educating responsible resource engineers
- Brass dezincification and lead leaching corrosion issues in premise plumbing systems
- Alternate anode reaction technology for hydrometallurgical processing of copper
- MinE 2504 Introduction to Mining and Minerals Engineering
- MinE 4544 Mine Reclamation and Environmental Management
- CEE 3104 Introduction to Environmental Engineering
- *Craynon, J., Sarver, E., Robertson, D. Could a Public Ecology Approach Resolve the Mountaintop Mining Controversy? Resources Policy (2012, in revision).
- *Craynon, J., Sarver, E., Karmis, M. Case Study of using GIS to identify potential sustainability conflicts at the Spruce No. 1 Mine in Logan County, WV. Canadian Mining Journal (submitted, 2012).
- *Cox, A., Sarver, E., Salt: an emerging concern for the global mining and minerals industries, Mining Technology (Trans. of the Australian Institute for Mining and Metallurgy) (2012, submitted).
- *Craynon, J., Sarver, E., Karmis, M. Incorporating Sustainable Design Principles into Coal Mine Design: Regulatory and Policy Barriers in the United States, International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, Vancouver, BC, Canada, (submitted, 2012).
- *Morris, J., Sarver, E., Luttrell, G., Novak, J., Reagents in coal processing: where do they go? Proceedings of the 51st Annual Conference of Metallurgists (Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum), Niagara Falls, NY, October 1-3, 2012 (accepted).
- Sarver, E., Edwards, M. Inhibition of Copper Pitting in Aggressive Potable Waters. International Journal of Corrosion (2012, accepted)
- Sarver, E., Edwards, M. Controlling Non-uniform Copper and Brass Corrosion in Premise Plumbing. Materials Performance. Vol. 50, No. 8, 2011.
- Sarver, E., Dodson, K., et al. Investigating Copper Pitting Corrosion in High pH, High Chlorine Potable Waters. Journal of the American Water Works Association. Vol. 103, No. 3, 2011.
- Sarver, E., Edwards, M. Effects of Flow, Brass Location, Tube Materials and Temperature on Corrosion of Brass Plumbing Devices. Corrosion Science. Vol. 53, No. 3, 2011.
- Sarver, E., Zhang, Y., Edwards, M. Revisiting Brass Dezincification Performance Testing: Exposure to Real Potable Water vs. ISO 6509. Materials Performance. Vol. 50, No. 5, 2011.
- Sarver, E., Zhang, Y., Edwards, M., Review of Dezincification Corrosion in Potable Water Systems. Corrosion Reviews. Vol. 28, No. 3-4, 2010.
- Sarver, E., Fuerstenau, M., et al. Reaction kinetics of ferrous regeneration for alternate anode reaction technology. Minerals & Metallurgical Processing. Vol. 24, No. 2, 2007.
* denotes student author