B.S. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2004
M.S. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2005
Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2010
Charles E. Via, Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), Virginia Tech
108 Holden Hall
Phone: (540) 231-8139
- Responsible development of mineral and energy resources, and education of responsible resource engineers
- Monitoring, characterization and control of mine-generated environmental contaminants
- Advancements in hydrometallurgical processing for base metals
Current and Past Research
- Characterization of respirable dust in underground coal mines and implications for worker health (funded by the Alpha Foundation for the Improvement of Mine Safety and Health; collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School for Public Health)
- Monitoring and control of diesel particulate matter in underground mines (funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, NIOSH)
- Environmental fate and transport of coal processing reagents (funded by the Appalachian Research Initiative for Environmental Science, ARIES)
- Sustainable solutions for water resource impairments near mining communities (funded by the Appalachian Research Initiative for Environmental Science, ARIES)
- Control of mine spoil leaching to improve water quality (funded by the Appalachian Research Initiative for Environmental Science, ARIES)
- Water quality influences on non-uniform copper corrosion in potable water systems and mitigation strategies
- Brass dezincification and lead leaching corrosion issues in premise plumbing systems
- Alternate anode reaction technology for hydrometallurgical processing of copper
- MinE 5114 Sustainable Development of Mineral and Energy Resources
- MinE 2504 Introduction to Mining and Minerals Engineering
- MinE 4544 Mine Reclamation and Environmental Management
- CEE 3104 Introduction to Environmental Engineering
- *Sellaro, R., Sarver, E. (2014) A preliminary investigation of SEM-EDX as a tool for characterization of coal mine dusts, Mining Engineering, Vol. 66, No. 8., pg. 16-40. (Feature article in August 2014 issue of Mining Engineering magazine, and winner of SME Environmental Division Outstanding Paper Award under title Characterization of Dust in Underground Coal Mines and Implications for Occupational Health in Proceedings of the 2014 SME Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City, UT.)
- *Cook, N., Sarver, E., Krometis, L., (accepted 2014) Putting Corporate Social Responsibility to Work in Mining Communities: A Central Appalachian Case Study, Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice.
- Raval, S., Sarver, E., Shamsoddini, A., Zipper, C., Donovan, P., Evans, D., Chu, H. (2014) Satellite Remote Sensing-based Estimates of Biomass Production on Reclaimed Coal Mines, Mining Engineering, Vol. 66, No. 4, pg. 76-82.
- Sarver, E., *Cox, A. (2013) Salt: an emerging concern for the global mining and minerals industries, Mining Technology (Transactions of the Australian Institute for Mining and Metallurgy), Vol. 122, No. 3, pg. 145-152.
- *Craynon, J., Sarver, E., Ripepi, N., Karmis, M. (accepted 2013). Case Study of using GIS to identify potential sustainability conflicts at the Spruce No. 1 Mine in Logan County, WV, International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment.
- *Craynon, J., Sarver, E., Robertson, D. (2013) Could a Public Ecology Approach Resolve the Mountaintop Mining Controversy? Resources Policy, Vol. 38, No. 1, pg. 44-49.
- *Morris, J., Sarver, E., Luttrell, G. (2013) Diesel Range Organics in Coal Preparation, Proceedings of Environmental Considerations in Energy Production, Charleston, WV, April 14-18, pg. 51-57.
- *Cook, N., Krometis, L. and Sarver, E. (2013) Inventory of Bacterial and Biological Impairments in Central Appalachia, Proceedings of Environmental Considerations in Energy Production, Charleston, WV, April 14-18, pg. 214-227.
- *Morris, J., Sarver, E., Luttrell, G., Novak, J. (2012) Reagents in coal processing: where do they go? Proceedings of the 51st Annual Conference of Metallurgists (Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum), Niagara Falls, Ontario, October 1-3, paper no. 7391.
- *Craynon, J., Sarver, E., Karmis, M. (2012) Incorporating Sustainable Design Principles into Coal Mine Design: Regulatory and Policy Barriers in the United States, International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, Vol 8., No. 3, pg. 57-64.
- Sarver, E., Edwards, M. (2012) Inhibition of Copper Pitting in Aggressive Potable Waters. International Journal of Corrosion, Vol. 2012, Article ID 857823, 16 pages, DOI:10.1155/2012/857823.
- Sarver, E., Edwards, M. (2011) Controlling Non-uniform Copper and Brass Corrosion in Premise Plumbing, Materials Performance. Vol. 50, No. 8, pg. 60-65.
- Sarver, E., Dodson, K., Edwards, M., Slabaugh, R., Scardina, R., Nguyen, C. (2011) Investigating Copper Pitting Corrosion in High pH, High Chlorine Potable Waters, Journal of the American Water Works Association. Vol. 103, No. 3, pg. 86-98.
- Sarver, E., Edwards, M. (2011) Effects of Flow, Brass Location, Tube Materials and Temperature on Corrosion of Brass Plumbing Devices, Corrosion Science. Vol. 53, No. 3, pg. 1813-1824.
- Sarver, E., Zhang, Y. (2011) Edwards, M., Revisiting Brass Dezincification Performance Testing: Exposure to Real Potable Water vs. ISO 6509, Materials Performance. Vol. 50, No. 5, pg. 70-75.
- Sarver, E., Zhang, Y., Edwards, M. (2010) Review of Dezincification Corrosion in Potable Water Systems. Corrosion Reviews, Vol. 28, No. 3-4, pg. 155-196.
- Sarver, E., Fuerstenau, M., Sandoval, S., Adel, G. (2007) Reaction kinetics of ferrous regeneration for alternate anode reaction technology, Minerals & Metallurgical Processing. Vol. 24, No. 2, pg. 105-110.
* denotes student author